Bed Bugs vs Carpet Beetles
How to Tell the Difference: Bed Bugs vs Carpet Beetles
If you have started to notice small red dots that look a lot like a small bug bite you might have a pest infestation. The problem then is to figure out what the pest is causing the bites and what you need to do to get them exterminated.
Some of the issues with finding the culprit is that there are many pests that are extremely small and can stay hidden away and some pests that hide really well. All pests are going to do what they can to stay out of sight so you really need to know what you are looking for.
There are two pests we are going to talk about today that seems to confuse a lot of people and that is the bed bug and the carpet beetle. They are similar in many ways but you can tell them apart; and the bites that they can cause.
Identification of Carpet Beetles
If you want to know what kind of pest you are dealing with, you need to start with what they look like physically. A carpet beetle is very different from a bed bug in appearance. They are usually smaller and are about an 1/8 of an inch in length fully grown.
They are also yellow and white in color and have a small tuft of hair on the back of the belly. They are scaly and the bite they can leave will look similar to a bed bug. The biggest difference is what each one will feed on. The carpet beetle will feed on materials that are found throughout your home such as the carpet fibers.
What Do Bed Bugs Look Like
If you think you have bed bugs and are able to see one of the elusive pests you need to know what you are looking at.
- A bed bug is a tiny bit larger in size than a carpet beetle and the coloring is much darker.
- They are usually a dark brown or even red and can be seen well on a light colored surface.
- They will feed on the blood of a host which is the person that is sleeping in the area they have infested as opposed to the materials that a carpet beetle eat.
- Bed bugs have a flat body that makes it easy for them to hide away during the day.
- They can hide in the seams of your mattress, bedding, furniture, clothes and headboard.
- Bed bugs also will only come out when the house is quiet and there is a host to feed on. They attach to the open and exposed skin until they are full then go back into hiding.
What Do Carpet Beetle & Bed Bug Bites Look Like
This is where it can be hard to determine what kind of pest you have.
The bites from both of these pests are very similar in their appearance which is a series of tiny red bites that can cause itching and irritation.
If you are concerned that you a bed bug infestation it is best to hire a professional that has experience in inspecting and treating bed bugs. The Bed Bug Inspectors can come out and inspect your home. We offer custom bed bug inspections and treatments to get rid of them, so call us today.
Learn with The Bed Bug Inspectors
- When Do Bed Bugs Come Out?
- What Are Bed Bugs?
- Bed Bug Feces
- Bed Bugs and Dirty Laundry
- Bed Bug vs. Carpet Beetle
- Bed Bug Guide: Steps to Take If You Suspect a Bed Bug Infestation
- Bed Bugs Symptoms
- Where Do Bed Bugs Come From?
- 5 Types Of Bed Bugs And How To Identify Them
- What Are Some Bugs That Look Like Bed Bugs?